Food recalls as a result of listeria concerns seems to be somewhat common these days and today is no different. In fact, today we have two reports of potential listeria contamination.
First, A company in Las Cruces, New Mexico has just issued a recall of approximately 253,000 pounds of frozen burrito products distributed to four states. Last week, the Green Chile Food Company issued a recall of several types of meat and poultry burritos which the company described as having been “shipped to institutions, retail stores, and distribution centers” in South Dakota, Oregon, Illinois, and California.
The United States Department of Agriculture reports that they had found the Listeria monocytogenes bacteria in a beef and potato burrito during a routing inspection sampling. The frozen burrito products in question would have been packaged between March 8 and May 10. Obviously, the USDA suggests that anyone may have purchased these products should not eat them—throw them away or return them to place of purchase.
Fortunately, no related illnesses have been reported. For the record, though, listeriosis (the name of a listeria infection) can be serious for pregnant women and people with compromised or weakened immune systems. It is only caused by eating contaminated food that had not been cooked properly.
Symptoms of listeriosis can include fever and muscle aches. Gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea can also be associated with listeriosis. These symptoms can typically show up between three days and three weeks after consuming the contaminated food.
Secondly, a Mississippi-based company is also recalling approximately 130,000 pounds of its products shipped nationwide over possible Listeria concerns. Valley Innovative Services has issued a voluntary recall of all meat and poultry frozen entree products, including some waffle products. The recall affects the following products:
• 11.4-oz three compartment tray packages of “Traditions Creamy Chicken Patty & Waffle with Four Seasons Vegetables and Cabbage” with production dates that fall between 6/6/2016 and 4/11/2017 with sell-by dates within a year of production
• 11.35-oz three compartment tray packages of “Traditions Creamy Chicken & Waffle with Rib Meat and with Cinnamon Flavored Sweet Potatoes and Seasoned Green Beans” with production dates that fall between 10/12/2016 and 3/1/20 with sell-by dates within a year of production
• 12-oz three compartment tray packages of “Traditions Creamy Chicken Patty & Waffle with Cinnamon Flavored Sweet Potatoes and Four Seasons Vegetables” with production dates between 12/9/2016 and 1/30/2017 and sell-by dates within the year
• 9.2-oz three compartment tray packages of “Traditions Turkey Ham & Waffle Cured Turkey Thigh meat Chunked and Formed with Fruit Cocktail and Hash Brown” with production dates between 12/12/2016 and 4/26/2017 with sell by dates within the year
• 7.4-oz three compartment tray packages of “Traditions Oatmeal with Waffle and Sausage Patty” with a 10/14/2016 production date (and a sell date the following year)